You will find reference to me on other parts of the internet, connected to the geographic. Currently, I’m an associate professor in one of Japan’s top university. During my time here I developed a line of research which offers hope to millions - indeed tens of millions worldwide, of those less lucky young citizens in getting a first class education and becoming solid members of their respective societies. So far so good.
A top US law firm telephoned me here in Japan. They offered their services in getting me one of those famous and coveted ‘Green Cards.’ Well, they did. And based on my research they garnered what is believed to be the only “extraordinary capacity” visa ever granted in basic education reform. “The Extraordinary” is estimated to be extended to only 300 individuals or so, worldwide; it is thus rarer than the Olympic gold medal. It is only issued to those with clear ideas which could - in the event of adoption - change America. Can you begin now begin to take this seriously?
Well, the good lawyers waivered the second part of their fee. Why, because the postulated reform offered that much hope to the millions of kids - and their parents - looking down the awful gun-barrel of their children’s blighted lives. This is, you can be sure, for real. There really is an alternate way where - truly and honestly - “every child can be the best that they can be.” It is called Democracy Reaches the Kids! Of course the top ranking panel of the old unloved and feared Immigration & Naturalization Service (INS) had no notion as to how this reform could be got ‘out there.’
Now has dawned the Blog revolution and so here we are. I don’t wish to become a prisoner of this technology, and so this is how I plan to handle it: From time to time I will post short notices on this Democracy alternative for kids. Initially most will come from my booklet Democracy Reaches theKids! If you want the full text (177pp A5) then let me know. [There is also a DVD which has a direct interest to Native children and their families and tribes. And which by extension can greatly support all minorities currently struggling to maintain cultural identities in what seems an unstoppable tide of junkish ‘world’ culture.]
So, this is what we’re challenging, restoring to children their own childhoods which have been seriously truncated by modern educational practices. Join this adventure.
A BLUEPRINT FOR GENERAL EDUCATION IN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY AND BEYOND
Abridged for feedback, comment and discussion
A fundamental reform of education which can create an honestly educated population with the prospect that - now - every child will become the best that he/she can be. No child will ever again suffer from unhappiness at school. This is this author’s sincere and indeed sweeping promise.
EDUCATION IS –
“A child pursuing knowledge --
not knowledge pursuing the child.” G.B. Shaw
“Not filling a bucket, it is lighting a fire." W.B. Yeats
“Where everybody recognizes your uniqueness.” Harry Potter
"A system of imposed ignorance." M.I.T. Professor Noam Chomsky
RESULT
'... sat despondent in seeing the poisonous fruits of modern education in his own son.'
Profit & Loss (circa 1890) Sir Rabindranath Tagore
5 comments:
Ryan!
I only did this blog yesterday, and also it was the very first time in my life to even see a blog! You are the very first question. Wonderful Ryan!
I was on the sea of Labrador and filmed calling such guys as you "Heroes." Right on.
As a professor, imagine, I consider most of what goes on in school as utterly useless and touching the key issues of this crucial 21st century. All basic education must be useful, and the world needs massive expansion of eniviroment, and a person needs physical, communication in English or French in CANADA, value given to Social, Computer literacy, Culture which in almost all cases is being shreded.
With native Peoples past the point of destruction. Plus all our dreams and achievements can be credited. All else is a waste of time, unnecessary. Years of algebra is pointless, for example. I can send you the booklet if you'd like.
Good Luck Ryan.
Can you join me in North Minnesota next march 20th?
George
I am so glad i stumbled onto your blog. I am a product of public schooling myself. While i was in elementary school, I had a terrible time with carrying grades, although I gobbled up what they taught me. Where I ran into trouble is when i saw little or no interest in the individual student as to "feeling out" what a student can absorb beyond what a strict, cookie-cutter structured, outlined "teaching plan" would provide.
Too often I have found myself thinking "I already know this crap, I want to move on to something NEW", then I would get bored. That would make me totally disinterested in "doing homework" (which counted for a large chunk of the total grade)when i can easily show what learned in a test.
Anything you can do that helps teachers make a fun thing out of getting a child to learn about the things that interest them and tailoring the education around the child instead of the other way around, I believe would be a GREAT THING.
It is also hope of mine you might be able to arrange an interview with Thom Hartmann ( www.ThomHartmann.com ) I think he would gladly help you spread the word about your worthy project. To call the program when Thom is on the air live (noon-3 PM ET), call (866) 440-THOM (440-8466). Thom is an author of books ranging from democracy to ADD/ADHD and from the environment to homeschooling.
Whoda!
Many thanks your fine comments; your experience is rather typical, alas, and it really has to change. So, yes I can change that and the US gave me it's rarest visa to do so. I will contact Thom thank you so, perhaps we begin here!?
best, Meegan
Brilliant. I've come to this recently...unschooling/etc., taking my ADHD-HERE YOU NEED A RITALIN IF YOU WANT TO BE HERE son out of mainstream school a little over a year ago (oh the guilt for not reading John Holt, etc. sooner...). ANYWAY, point is, I gave my son his life back and hopefully he'll be able to start healing a bit sooner than if he'd had to fix it on his own once through mandated public ed.
He's attending a non-coercive democratically run school in BC. It's called WINDSOR HOUSE. Really great place and cutting edge in alternative "schools", I encourage you to check on the link and watch the documentary. THEN...consider a trip to visit our Windsor House Community http://whs.at.org/
Sincerely,
Abby
Vancouver, BC Canada
Dear Abby, wonderful. thank you!
Your fine young man seems is recovering his childhood at Windsor! Bravo!
I am putting my full award winning research on a series of Blogs, to get the word out. Running daily and starting this month at http://georgemeegan.com
will emerge over several months a full illumination and answer to all problem. If you can - and at Windsor - follow this, then you will have a powerful tool for all of BC's children.
Hang in, and then we can see about visiting special windsor!
Best george meegan
Post a Comment