I am sometimes asked this, how I got into this bleak field -- education reform. It’s a good question because it is not a natural progression; after all I entered the profession (teaching) by accident. I’m rather reminded of the Bronx expression; “If you can do it, do it. If you can’t do it, teach it!” In my case I washed up in Japan and there was nothing else I could do!
As one does, and with teaching, I got to love kids. Their energy, their passion and trusting hope in the future. I found pretty quickly that I could do better at my job if I did not follow the prescribed dry as dust texts, those which could fill a small ocean liner, but if I instead pursued a freer, more freewheeling style, then things usually moved better, happier. In other words I used an alternate route to get information across. This was also education.
No comments:
Post a Comment